Aug 23, 2008

Tororo imo

Tororo-imo


Grated Tororo-imo



On steamed rice




Tororo Zaru Soba



Tororo Soba



Tororo-imo

Tororo-imo is Dioscorea opposita (yam) or a kind of potato.
We also call it Naga-imo.
“Imo” means potato.
“Tororo” means sticky.

Japanese people love sticky foods and know a lot of ways to prepare Tororo-imo.
It is good with sake!

Grated Tororo-imo, is most popular way to eat it.
Peel the skin, grate it and eat with soy sauce and wasabi,
or put the mixture on steamed rice.
Another option: add tuna sashimi or egg yolk

Tanzaku
Peel skin and cut into quarter inch thick, 2 inch lengths.
Top with katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) and soy sauce.

Sautéed
Cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide slices.
Put them and butter into a pan with medium flame.
Add soy sauce to taste.

Totoro soba (noodle)
Japanese love to put grated Tororo on all kinds of noodle-.
soba, udon, zaru-soba, zaru-udon, kaki-soba, yaki-udon.
It is delicious!

We have many other dishes we use with tororo-imo.
If you find “tororo” word or white sticky paste in a Japanese restaurant, please try it.
It can be found at Asian grocery stores in the US.

11 comments:

mecamo said...

hey there,
how great that i have found your blog. so many interesting things to read :-)
your dish sounds so yummy, and it's vegetarian, perfect for me :-)
now, i like to read more about your blog :-)

greetinxxx, ME

Yutaka said...

Thank you very much for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Yutaka-San -- I am always looking for traditional-style ways to serve yamaimo at home. I prepare tororo the way you do, but I grind half of it, and the other half I cut into "match-stick" shape, so we keep some of the crunchiness. Then I add some yellow egg-white product (no yolk, because of cholesterol) and some finely chopped green onion, and either a little red miso paste or shoyu (not both, to keep salt down), and a little wasabe. I pour this over warm steamed rice and sprinkle on some bonito flakes (or fresh ikura, if I have). This tastes really nice. Do you have other suggestions to improve my recipe and still keep it pretty healthy?? Thanks a lot -
Steve in San Francisco (reply to steve@PotashCo.com)

Yutaka said...

Steve-san,

Your recipe is perfect, especially, using Miso! I did not know that. I will try it. Friend of mine told me he adds cooked ell into grind totoro imo. You know frozen cooked ell is sold at Japanese store. It is very easy handling.

Anonymous said...

Dear Yukata,

thanks for the information.
It took me over two years to find out what this sticky, slimy and in my opinion tasteless "thing" , which was sometimes put over my rice or noodles, is. Whenever I descibed it to my japanese colleguages they didn't know what I meant. Last time I've bought a pack of soba-noodles ready to eat in the supermarket - and there it was again --- thanks god packed seperately--- tororoimo. Finally I could show it to my colleguages and now they understood what I always have tried to explain!
Now with your help I could learn more about it and I have now written in japanese a card which says "I don't like tororoimo, please serve it without it". This will make my order in restaurants much easier, because it was always a lot of work to fish tororo out of the soup or remove it from the rice!
Thank you from an absolut japanese food lover - besides toroimo!
Gabriele from Germany

Anonymous said...

Dear Yutaka,
sorry, I just noticed I mixed up the letters of your name in my comment before.
Please accept my apology!
Thank you.
Gabriele from Germany

Anonymous said...

嘿,很不错的博客!男子..美丽..惊人的..我将书签您的博客,并采取饲料也....

writing research papers said...

despite the fact that this dish does not look very appetizing, the taste is simply amazing! Thanks for the recipe, very cool

writing assistant said...

hmm, all is good for me. and how it sounds (I mean ingredients, preparing..etc), and how it looks. wonderful dish

Anonymous said...

Hοwԁy! Do уоu uѕе Τwіtter?
I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm unԁoubtedly
enjoying уour blog anԁ lοοk forwarԁ tо nеw postѕ.


Feеl fгee to visit mу page; premature ejaculation pills prescription

Beniko Hanahttp said...

In recent years, high nutritional value, the food products, in which the buckwheat meal is used, that is becoming more and more popular. Buckwheat flour is a good source of dietary fiber and contains essential amino acids